SINGAPORE, OCTOBER 9, 2015 – “Education degree or skills do not guarantee a job and they are only means to opening a door,” observed Dr S S Mantha, former Chairman, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), at the panel discussion on Skills Development & Entrepreneurship- Managing Lifelong Learning here on October 9. The panel discussion was hosted on the occasion of the 2nd BERG Education Awards.
A former regulator of all the engineering colleges in India, Dr Mantha also dealt at length on the recent initiatives by the Indian government in the area of skill development for the youth. The other members on the panel were Mr Maneesh Tripathi, CEO, Si2i Ltd, Mr Zafar Anjum, author, Startup Capitals and Dr P Shyama Raju, Chancellor, REVA University. The discussion was moderated by Managing Partner of Singapore-based Business Excellence & Research Group (BERG), Mr Vishwesh Iyer.
India-based educational institutions and educationists were also awarded at the 2nd BERG Education Awards. Conceptualised and hosted by BERG, the awards also highlighted the crucial role being played by the Indian education sector, both private and public.
Chairman of the BERG Advisory Board, Mr Thomas McMahon said, “The focus of education needs to shift from acquiring degrees to skill development and this calls for some radical changes in the Indian education system.”
The BERG Awards for Innovation & Excellence in Indian Education attracted participation from a large cross-section of institutions and educationists. These included private universities, engineering & management colleges, vocational training institutes as well as individuals who are playing a key role in the education sector in various parts of the country.
Based on a multiple level evaluation by the BERG team of analysts, a total of 10 awards were presented at the Gala Awards night in Singapore. The function was attended among others by a cross section of educationists and Indian business community in Singapore.
The Awards winners at the 2nd BERG Education Awards 2015 are as below:
- REVA University, Bangalore. Award Category – Private University (South)
- St Xaviers’ English High School and Junior College, Thane. Award Category – School Operator
- Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (Deemed University), Award Category – Medical Education
- Vishwakarma Institute of Technology, Pune, Award Category – Technology Education
- Mr Parasnath Rammurti Rai, Chairman Rammurti Education Society, Award Category – Eminent Educationist
- Dr A K Sengupta, Mentor, SIES College of Management Studies, Award Category – Distinguished Educationist
- Dr Vedprakash Mishra, Pro-Chancellor-cum-Chief Adviser, DMIMS , Award Category – Distinguished Educationist
- Dr P Shyama Raju, Chancellor, REVA University, Award Category – Distinguished & Innovative Educationist
- Prof R S S Mani, Vice President, Insitutional Development, ITM Group of Institutions, Award Category – Distinguished Educationist
- Mr Bharat Agarwal, Managing Trustee, Vishwakarma Institutes, Award Category – Distinguished Educationist